Monday, October 21, 2013

Loch Chabot...from 2012

Old posting...

 Published on
8/2/12 11:48 AM
Pacific Daylight Time

This past weekend I ran a 10K.  I had decided to run it just last month hoping that it would motivate me to continue my training in anticipation of the upcoming Rock 'n' Roll half marathon in San Jose, come October. It didn't.  And well...let me just say it has been the toughest 10K race ever for me.  I usually pick races that are flat and I think because I was SO motivated by the awesome medal, Bad Bass (and this was where my honey first fell for me!), I signed up without really checking out the course.  Only later did I realize there was a drastic elevation change.

My family, minus my oldest who was at a Christian jr. high school camp, woke up early to drive over to the park.  It was overcast--great weather to run in--and I definitely was not prepared, but when I took off, I felt good.  The race would be half paved and half trail.  The paved was good, the trail seemed better.  A small hill soon came upon me around mile 2 and people started walking.  I was like, come on people, it's small hill.  Rest when you reach the top!

Only, once I reached a top, there was yet another hill.
And at the top of that one, another hill.
And yet another.
Each one progressively seemed steeper and higher than the last!
For one whole mile...

Wondering if I'd ever make it to the top (and half way up mile 2, runners started coming down!), I finally reached it and tried to make up for time--without falling on my face!  It was brutal.  But, my mind was thinking of my medal and the homecoming of my family at the finish line.  I walked a lot, and ran basically my worst 10K ever, but, I finished and it was great to rest and stop.

Life is like that...you go through trials, thinking it's the end, only for a tougher one to face.  But, thank the Good Lord, we never have to face it alone.   He refines us, when we trust in Him.  He shows His faithfulness when we remain steadfast in our faith.

I will continue to run and persevere in this race called life to be welcomed home.