Monday, September 26, 2011

My First Half Marathon, Half Moon Bay International Marathon

Okay, I did run a 'half' marathon back in May this year (2011), but that course was miscalculated and it was either 12.5 or 12.6 miles that I ran.  So, I consider this race to be my first real half. And I am in pain from finishing it.  But, I did finish!

It all started back a few months ago, when I stumbled upon this marathon on a runner's blog.  I texted my sis, and the next thing I know she texts me to check my email---she had signed me up!  It was the first (inaugural) marathon of HMB, and they were predicting beautiful weather.  Well, thank God that He provided us with overcast weather, because as beautiful as it was, it would've been hard to have the sun beating down on us as we ran.

I started out strong trying to keep up with my friends, but, then, slowly one by one, we all broke away from each other.  Well, except me.  I stayed behind and without the friend motivation there to help me to keep running, with all the pain I was feeling in my legs, my only motivation was to cross the finish line in a not too embarassing time.

As the miles were starting to increase, I had to keep telling myself, come on, you can do 3 miles...you can do 2 miles...last mile, come on!  So, finally, when I saw the finish line about 10 feet away (okay, it wasn't quite 10 feet, but it was in a visible reaching distance), I decided to sprint across it.  I hear my friends cheering me on (they were done like half an hour ago!)  And then, I finally could stop and not have to worry about finishing.

The toughest part of this half, was the trail run.  The trail was narrow and uneven and, just crowded at times.  I had to watch my footing, and my right foot (which already had problems), was really starting to hurt.  As everything was in pain, I started to ask God to help me.  And sure enough, each time I sang praises or just thanked Him, the pain would subside.  How good He is to me!  How good He is!

And so, I finished...Although, I later found out that Nathan's coach's wife (other coach, not his dad!), also ran this Half marathon in Half Moon Bay, and she was the third female the cross the finish line, and the first in her age group to cross the finish line.  Wow!  That's pretty impressive, she ran 8 minute miles...I ran 11+minute miles.  I'm just glad I finished. 

So, here is my bragging picture:


I am done.  But, don't stick a fork in me, because I am in so much pain!



Here are my stats
Half Marathon       
finished 02:26:50
<>
<>
<>
 
<>
<>
<>
<>
<>
 
<>
<>
<>
 
<>
<>
<>
<>
 
<>
<>
<>
Checkpoint
Time of Day
Chip Time
Chip Pace
Start
7:30:19.98AM


2.2 Mile
7:49:51.76AM
0:19:32
0:08:53
6.5 Mile
8:37:49.52AM
1:07:30
0:10:24
Finish
9:57:09.80AM
2:26:50
0:11:13